- good causes June 9
It's official: Hunter Gandee is the best big brother in the world. Over the weekend, the 14-year-old walked 40 miles to bring attention to cerebral palsy, all while carrying his little brother, 7-year-old Braden, on his back.
Hunter wanted his peers to get a better understanding of cerebral palsy, which affects Braden's muscle tone, reflexes, and motor coordination, reports The Ann Arbor News. Hunter sold wristbands for Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month, raising $350, and then planned the walk from Bedford Junior High to the University of Michigan's Bahna Wrestling Center. Both Hunter and Braden are big wrestling fans, and their mom, Danielle, thought it "seemed to be the perfect distance."
The walk was split between two days, with Hunter trekking 25 miles on Saturday and 15 on Sunday. Hunter knew the journey wouldn't be easy — at one point Braden started to get bad chafing on his legs — but the two kept going. They were never alone, accompanied by their parents, siblings, friends, members of the community, and a University of Michigan wrestler. "This is what [Hunter] wanted to do," Danielle said. "I knew he'd do it, and I had faith in him the entire time."
A large crowd was on hand to greet Hunter, Braden, and their entourage once they reached their final destination. "Proud isn't even really a word I could use; it's way beyond that," says Sam Gandee, their father. "To me, it's one of those things that can make a difference in the world... they've reached so many people. It's way more than I have done in my life." --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week