- The Daily Showdown June 10
Perhaps you've read that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the former POW and current political lightning rod, is a traitorous deserter who converted to Islam along with his Muslim-looking father. Jon Stewart spent most of Monday night's Daily Show unleashing his dreaded arsenal of "facts" and "context" to examine those and other accusations, as made primarily on Fox News.
Last week, Stewart covered many of the allegations and innuendo against the son — "In just a few days, this guy Bowe Bergdahl went from 'guy who left base without permission' to 'Muslim terrorist Kennedy assassin,'" he recapped Monday night. So this extended segment focused largely on the father, Bob Bergdahl, particularly his facial hair and message to his son from the White House rose garden: "Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim" (Roughly: "In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate"). Stewart slipped in a lecture about consciences, had a strange visit from Jiminy Cricket, mocked Sean Hannity, threw some shade at Abe Lincoln, and capped off his tour de force with a group effort, a mocking look at all the politicians and pundits who would've handled this way better.
If you don't have 15 minutes, or prefer a gentler fisking, here's Stephen Colbert's version, from last Thursday's Colbert Report. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week