- Colbert Nationalism June 10
On Monday night's Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert turned to the only story that apparently matters on cable news: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release from five years of Taliban captivity in return for five Guantanamo Bay prisoners whom Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) calls the "Taliban Dream Team." Colbert was not impressed with the tenor of the debate.
Colbert ridiculed CNN for seriously fixating on comparisons between Bergdahl and a fictional returned P.O.W. on the Showtime series Homeland. But he saved his most biting critique for Fox News. Not only did Bergdahl study ballet in his teens — a fact explored in depth on Fox News last week, Colbert noted, but he also "pursued a lifestyle that 99 percent of Americans cannot relate to: Volunteering to fight in Afghanistan. The point is, everything about Bergdahl is an affront to the heroes who serve on the front lines of Fox News." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Briefing: Offshore drilling and the environment
Subscribe to the Week