- Colbert Nationalism June 10
On Monday night's Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert turned to the only story that apparently matters on cable news: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release from five years of Taliban captivity in return for five Guantanamo Bay prisoners whom Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) calls the "Taliban Dream Team." Colbert was not impressed with the tenor of the debate.
Colbert ridiculed CNN for seriously fixating on comparisons between Bergdahl and a fictional returned P.O.W. on the Showtime series Homeland. But he saved his most biting critique for Fox News. Not only did Bergdahl study ballet in his teens — a fact explored in depth on Fox News last week, Colbert noted, but he also "pursued a lifestyle that 99 percent of Americans cannot relate to: Volunteering to fight in Afghanistan. The point is, everything about Bergdahl is an affront to the heroes who serve on the front lines of Fox News." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week