- Colbert Nationalism June 10
On Monday night's Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert turned to the only story that apparently matters on cable news: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release from five years of Taliban captivity in return for five Guantanamo Bay prisoners whom Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) calls the "Taliban Dream Team." Colbert was not impressed with the tenor of the debate.
Colbert ridiculed CNN for seriously fixating on comparisons between Bergdahl and a fictional returned P.O.W. on the Showtime series Homeland. But he saved his most biting critique for Fox News. Not only did Bergdahl study ballet in his teens — a fact explored in depth on Fox News last week, Colbert noted, but he also "pursued a lifestyle that 99 percent of Americans cannot relate to: Volunteering to fight in Afghanistan. The point is, everything about Bergdahl is an affront to the heroes who serve on the front lines of Fox News." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
Subscribe to the Week