- Colbert Nationalism June 10
On Monday night's Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert turned to the only story that apparently matters on cable news: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release from five years of Taliban captivity in return for five Guantanamo Bay prisoners whom Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) calls the "Taliban Dream Team." Colbert was not impressed with the tenor of the debate.
Colbert ridiculed CNN for seriously fixating on comparisons between Bergdahl and a fictional returned P.O.W. on the Showtime series Homeland. But he saved his most biting critique for Fox News. Not only did Bergdahl study ballet in his teens — a fact explored in depth on Fox News last week, Colbert noted, but he also "pursued a lifestyle that 99 percent of Americans cannot relate to: Volunteering to fight in Afghanistan. The point is, everything about Bergdahl is an affront to the heroes who serve on the front lines of Fox News." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
Subscribe to the Week