- Colbert Nationalism June 10
On Monday night's Colbert Report, Stephen Colbert turned to the only story that apparently matters on cable news: Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl's release from five years of Taliban captivity in return for five Guantanamo Bay prisoners whom Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) calls the "Taliban Dream Team." Colbert was not impressed with the tenor of the debate.
Colbert ridiculed CNN for seriously fixating on comparisons between Bergdahl and a fictional returned P.O.W. on the Showtime series Homeland. But he saved his most biting critique for Fox News. Not only did Bergdahl study ballet in his teens — a fact explored in depth on Fox News last week, Colbert noted, but he also "pursued a lifestyle that 99 percent of Americans cannot relate to: Volunteering to fight in Afghanistan. The point is, everything about Bergdahl is an affront to the heroes who serve on the front lines of Fox News." --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- How to make classic pulled pork
- 10 things you need to know today: August 1, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week