- World Cup June 12
The World Cup starts Thursday, and Seth Meyers had John Oliver on Late Night Wednesday night to talk about soccer's big event. Oliver spent his own Sunday show railing against FIFA, soccer's world governing body, and he re-upped that criticism on Late Night. "FIFA is awful, but the product they push is amazing," Oliver said. "They're basically the Walter White," the Breaking Bad antihero, and "if you get hooked on their magnificent blue meth of a sport, then you want nothing else."
Oliver is counterintuitively optimistic about England's chances in the tournament, but not all that bullish on Team USA — "I would prepare yourselves for winning zero out of three games." He also thinks the decision by Team USA's German coach to cut Landon Donovan was "the most German decision in this history of sports." If you want more thoughts on the World Cup from a very funny, rabid fan of the game, watch on. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week