- Quotables June 15
Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Sunday blasted the Obama administration for repeatedly failing to properly assess and respond to foreign threats.
In an interview on Meet the Press, Romney said that most of the blame for the crisis in Iraq lies with the Iraqi government. Yet the administration, he claimed, was also at fault because it underestimated the gravity of the situation and didn't take stronger preemptive measures to head it off.
"This administration, from Secretary Clinton to President Obama, has repeatedly underestimated the threats that are faced by America, has repeatedly underestimated our adversaries," he said.
Still, Romney demurred when asked what he would do differently in Iraq, saying: "To tell you precisely what's going to happen right now and what things we ought to do militarily would require me to get the kinds of intelligence briefings I no longer get." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
Subscribe to the Week