- Quotables June 15
Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Sunday blasted the Obama administration for repeatedly failing to properly assess and respond to foreign threats.
In an interview on Meet the Press, Romney said that most of the blame for the crisis in Iraq lies with the Iraqi government. Yet the administration, he claimed, was also at fault because it underestimated the gravity of the situation and didn't take stronger preemptive measures to head it off.
"This administration, from Secretary Clinton to President Obama, has repeatedly underestimated the threats that are faced by America, has repeatedly underestimated our adversaries," he said.
Still, Romney demurred when asked what he would do differently in Iraq, saying: "To tell you precisely what's going to happen right now and what things we ought to do militarily would require me to get the kinds of intelligence briefings I no longer get." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
- Why I choose not to be rich
- Here's the last time Russia shot down a passenger plane
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week