- Quotables June 15
Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Sunday blasted the Obama administration for repeatedly failing to properly assess and respond to foreign threats.
In an interview on Meet the Press, Romney said that most of the blame for the crisis in Iraq lies with the Iraqi government. Yet the administration, he claimed, was also at fault because it underestimated the gravity of the situation and didn't take stronger preemptive measures to head it off.
"This administration, from Secretary Clinton to President Obama, has repeatedly underestimated the threats that are faced by America, has repeatedly underestimated our adversaries," he said.
Still, Romney demurred when asked what he would do differently in Iraq, saying: "To tell you precisely what's going to happen right now and what things we ought to do militarily would require me to get the kinds of intelligence briefings I no longer get." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week