- Quotables June 15
Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Sunday blasted the Obama administration for repeatedly failing to properly assess and respond to foreign threats.
In an interview on Meet the Press, Romney said that most of the blame for the crisis in Iraq lies with the Iraqi government. Yet the administration, he claimed, was also at fault because it underestimated the gravity of the situation and didn't take stronger preemptive measures to head it off.
"This administration, from Secretary Clinton to President Obama, has repeatedly underestimated the threats that are faced by America, has repeatedly underestimated our adversaries," he said.
Still, Romney demurred when asked what he would do differently in Iraq, saying: "To tell you precisely what's going to happen right now and what things we ought to do militarily would require me to get the kinds of intelligence briefings I no longer get." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Fall film guide: All the movies you should see in October
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week