- Working hard June 23
Lin's chart is color-coded by industry, and the parenthetical number at the right of each bar shows the mean wage (in thousands). The various shapes demonstrate the salary range in each field.
Unsurprisingly, the highest wages are all in medical fields, which are fuchsia on the chart, while the lowest wages are in the hospitality and food industries, which are pea green and lime green on the chart, respectively. The top mean wage is for anesthesiologists at $235,100 a year, followed closely by surgeons at $233,200 a year. The lowest mean wage goes to fast food cooks at just $18,900 a year.
With 820 jobs included in Lin's chart, it's too long to include the whole thing here. But if you want to see the full list in all its glory, click the image below and zoom to enlarge. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week