- Working hard June 23
Lin's chart is color-coded by industry, and the parenthetical number at the right of each bar shows the mean wage (in thousands). The various shapes demonstrate the salary range in each field.
Unsurprisingly, the highest wages are all in medical fields, which are fuchsia on the chart, while the lowest wages are in the hospitality and food industries, which are pea green and lime green on the chart, respectively. The top mean wage is for anesthesiologists at $235,100 a year, followed closely by surgeons at $233,200 a year. The lowest mean wage goes to fast food cooks at just $18,900 a year.
With 820 jobs included in Lin's chart, it's too long to include the whole thing here. But if you want to see the full list in all its glory, click the image below and zoom to enlarge. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week