- Working hard June 23
Lin's chart is color-coded by industry, and the parenthetical number at the right of each bar shows the mean wage (in thousands). The various shapes demonstrate the salary range in each field.
Unsurprisingly, the highest wages are all in medical fields, which are fuchsia on the chart, while the lowest wages are in the hospitality and food industries, which are pea green and lime green on the chart, respectively. The top mean wage is for anesthesiologists at $235,100 a year, followed closely by surgeons at $233,200 a year. The lowest mean wage goes to fast food cooks at just $18,900 a year.
With 820 jobs included in Lin's chart, it's too long to include the whole thing here. But if you want to see the full list in all its glory, click the image below and zoom to enlarge. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 21, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- California's epic drought
- The week's best editorial cartoons
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week