- Working hard June 23
Lin's chart is color-coded by industry, and the parenthetical number at the right of each bar shows the mean wage (in thousands). The various shapes demonstrate the salary range in each field.
Unsurprisingly, the highest wages are all in medical fields, which are fuchsia on the chart, while the lowest wages are in the hospitality and food industries, which are pea green and lime green on the chart, respectively. The top mean wage is for anesthesiologists at $235,100 a year, followed closely by surgeons at $233,200 a year. The lowest mean wage goes to fast food cooks at just $18,900 a year.
With 820 jobs included in Lin's chart, it's too long to include the whole thing here. But if you want to see the full list in all its glory, click the image below and zoom to enlarge. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week