- good news June 24
A woman visiting family in Houston made a startling discovery Monday while on a morning jog. As she ran past a field, she heard noises that sounded like they were coming from a small child, and stopped to investigate. There, set back in the brush, was a baby in a car seat.
Hong Nguyen had found 8-month-old Genesis Haley, missing since 3:40 a.m. The baby's mother had stopped at a gas station and gone inside, leaving the baby in the car; within seconds the vehicle was stolen. Authorities discovered the car not too far from the station, but Genesis was nowhere to be found.
When Nguyen realized she had stumbled upon a baby, she was "really worried," she told NBC News. "It was a bit scary." Police estimate that Genesis had been in the field for about four hours. After she was checked out at Texas Children's Hospital, Genesis was released to her mother. The suspect is still on the loose.
Police are praising Nguyen for finding Genesis, and are especially grateful since she wasn't jogging on a well-traveled street. Nguyen believes it was luck, and is quick to add, "I'm not the hero."- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Surviving a plane crash
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
Subscribe to the Week