- get a filter June 24
If you have to stop and tell the person interviewing you to "edit and cut half of what I've said, because it's going to make me sound like a bigot," you should probably expect a backlash when the words are finally printed.
To promote his latest movie, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, actor Gary Oldman was interviewed for the July/August issue of Playboy. He took a trip down memory lane, the New York Daily News reports, to discuss Mel Gibson's anti-Semitic rant during his 2006 DUI arrest and Alec Baldwin's 2013 altercation with a paparazzo that ended with the use of a homophobic slur.
"We're all f---ing hypocrites," Oldman said. "That's what I think about it. The policeman who arrested him has never used the word n----r or that f---ing Jew? I'm being brutally honest here. It's the hypocrisy of it that drives me crazy." Later, he added: "So they persecute. Mel Gibson is in a town that's run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he's actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him and doesn't need to feed him anymore because he's got enough dough."
As for Baldwin, he said he didn't blame him for "calling someone a f-g in the street while he's pissed off coming out of his building because they won't leave him alone." It was about here Oldman realized that at some point he should have said "this is off the record," and asked the interviewer to sanitize his words. "I do have particular views and opinions that most of this town doesn't share, but it's not like I'm a fascist or a racist," he said. "There's nothing like that in my history." You can read the rest of his wildly non-PC opinions when the new issue of Playboy comes out Friday.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week