- Nobody's buying it June 25
On Tuesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart took note of the recent comments by Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden in which they insist that they aren't really wealthy, or haven't been in the recent past. Neither politician is hurting for money, so Stewart decided to playfully pit their rival claims to modest means against each other, in a down-home "poor-off" — the evident Southern flavor is curious, given that Biden is from Pennsylvania/Delaware and Clinton grew up in Illinois.
But Stewart's point is almost beyond dispute: "What's with the poverty Tourette's?" he asked. "Why do these two seem to think we need a hobo for president?" Also, why does Biden or Clinton think America will buy their middle-class pretensions. Still, Stewart does declare a winner of the "poor-off." Spoiler: It's Biden. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week