- Nobody's buying it June 25
On Tuesday night's Daily Show, Jon Stewart took note of the recent comments by Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden in which they insist that they aren't really wealthy, or haven't been in the recent past. Neither politician is hurting for money, so Stewart decided to playfully pit their rival claims to modest means against each other, in a down-home "poor-off" — the evident Southern flavor is curious, given that Biden is from Pennsylvania/Delaware and Clinton grew up in Illinois.
But Stewart's point is almost beyond dispute: "What's with the poverty Tourette's?" he asked. "Why do these two seem to think we need a hobo for president?" Also, why does Biden or Clinton think America will buy their middle-class pretensions. Still, Stewart does declare a winner of the "poor-off." Spoiler: It's Biden. --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
Subscribe to the Week