- Say what? June 25
Radio host Rush Limbaugh opined on his show Wednesday that Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) eked out a win in his primary fight thanks to the help of "black Uncle Tom voters."
Limbaugh asked whether the Cochran campaign's slogan was "Uncle Toms for Thad," and accused establishment Republicans of having "bought nine percentage points... from the black Uncle Tom voters in Mississippi." The Cochran campaign reached out to black Democrats for help against Tea Party favorite Chris McDaniel, and given Cochran's small margin of victory, that effort appears to have been crucial. --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The next pandemic
- These real-life Rosie the Riveters changed the face of labor
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week