- Oops June 30
Hello? Is it Lionel Richie or Ritchie you're looking for?
Richie, one of the best-selling musical artists of all time, was honored with a lifetime achievement award during the BET Awards that aired Sunday night. Unfortunately, someone got a little too excited while typing out the captions and added a "t" to his name, which got Twitter all atwitter.
That gaffe didn't take away from his moving acceptance speech. In a message to the up-and-coming musicians in the room, he said: "Soul is a feeling, not a color. Talent is a God-given gift, and not a category. Out-of-the-box is that magical place where talent, true talent, goes to live and thrive and breathe. May you never give that up as long as you're in this business." Watch the speech below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week