- Oops June 30
Hello? Is it Lionel Richie or Ritchie you're looking for?
Richie, one of the best-selling musical artists of all time, was honored with a lifetime achievement award during the BET Awards that aired Sunday night. Unfortunately, someone got a little too excited while typing out the captions and added a "t" to his name, which got Twitter all atwitter.
That gaffe didn't take away from his moving acceptance speech. In a message to the up-and-coming musicians in the room, he said: "Soul is a feeling, not a color. Talent is a God-given gift, and not a category. Out-of-the-box is that magical place where talent, true talent, goes to live and thrive and breathe. May you never give that up as long as you're in this business." Watch the speech below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to deep fry a turkey
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
Subscribe to the Week