- Oops June 30
Hello? Is it Lionel Richie or Ritchie you're looking for?
Richie, one of the best-selling musical artists of all time, was honored with a lifetime achievement award during the BET Awards that aired Sunday night. Unfortunately, someone got a little too excited while typing out the captions and added a "t" to his name, which got Twitter all atwitter.
That gaffe didn't take away from his moving acceptance speech. In a message to the up-and-coming musicians in the room, he said: "Soul is a feeling, not a color. Talent is a God-given gift, and not a category. Out-of-the-box is that magical place where talent, true talent, goes to live and thrive and breathe. May you never give that up as long as you're in this business." Watch the speech below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week