- who run the world? July 1
Sorry, Oprah, but you've been replaced. Beyoncé Knowles tops Forbes' 15th annual Celebrity 100, finally making it to the No. 1 spot after debuting on the list 10 years ago.
The Celebrity 100 measures money and fame, Forbes says, looking at each star's estimated earnings over the last year. A media score is also assigned to each celebrity, which is a count of how many times they were mentioned on TV and the radio and in print, plus social media power and how the celebrities influence culture and the entertainment industry.
No one can deny that this has been Knowles' year: From her gigantic hit album Beyoncé to numerous endorsements (H&M and Pepsi are just a few), this is Beyoncé's world, and we're just living in it. She earned an estimated $115 million between June 1, 2013 and June 1, 2014, and her husband, Jay-Z, isn't far behind: He is in sixth place with an estimated $60 million in earnings.
Basketball star LeBron James came in second with $72 million, moving up from 16th place in 2013, and Dr. Dre climbed up from the 63rd spot last year to third place. He has earned $620 million so far in 2014, thanks in large part to Apple buying Beats by Dre for $3 billion. Because of that, he ended up making more in the past 12 months than any other celebrity in the history of the list. Oprah Winfrey fell from first place to fourth, "primarily because the three people ranked above her on this year's list currently have more influence and power," Forbes said. But don't feel too bad for Winfrey; she still made an estimated $82 million.
Read the entire list at Forbes.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week