- This just in July 1
Italy has assumed the EU presidency, taking the reins from Greece, whose presidency ended June 30.
The revolving presidency will belong to Italy for the next sixth months. Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi has promised to use his term to push for a "United States of Europe," which will be particularly challenging with the recent rise of Euro-skeptic parties in European elections.
Renzi recently launched an appeal to convince European leaders that a unified continent is in all European countries' best interest.
"A stronger and more cohesive Europe is the only solution to solve the problems of our time," Renzi said during a speech in Florence. "For my children's future, I dream, think, and work for the United States of Europe."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- In defense of family dinner
Subscribe to the Week