- World Cup July 1
Belgium on Tuesday knocked the U.S. out of the World Cup with a 2-1 victory in their Group of 16 match. The Belgians dominated possession and peppered the U.S. goal, only to be denied time and again by goalkeeper Tim Howard, who amassed a staggering 16 saves. But the Red Devils broke the deadlock in overtime, scoring twice to kill the U.S.'s dreams of going to the quarterfinals.
Substitute Julian Green scored to pull one back for a nail-biting finish, but it turned out to be too little, too late.
Here is Belgium's second goal, from Romelu Lukaku:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week