- The state motto: 'It grows as it goes' July 1
Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico and later the Libertarian presidential nominee in 2012, is now back in the public eye — as the new CEO of a marijuana company, Cannabis Sativa Inc. And not only that, but Johnson will work for a salary of just $1 a year.
The company, which named itself after the scientific name for a common marijuana species, hopes to sell both medical and recreational marijuana products.
"I generally believe this is changing the planet for the better," said Johnson, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. "It also is a bet on the future…We think we have the creme de la creme of marijuana products."
For example, one of the company's items will be similar to a cough-drop. "Couple of things hit you when you try the product. One is, wow, why would anybody smoke marijuana given this is an alternative?" Johnson explained. "And then secondly, it's just very, very pleasant. I mean, very pleasant."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to make corn dogs
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- For the GOP, gay marriage could be the most important issue in 2016
Subscribe to the Week