- The state motto: 'It grows as it goes' July 1
Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico and later the Libertarian presidential nominee in 2012, is now back in the public eye — as the new CEO of a marijuana company, Cannabis Sativa Inc. And not only that, but Johnson will work for a salary of just $1 a year.
The company, which named itself after the scientific name for a common marijuana species, hopes to sell both medical and recreational marijuana products.
"I generally believe this is changing the planet for the better," said Johnson, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. "It also is a bet on the future…We think we have the creme de la creme of marijuana products."
For example, one of the company's items will be similar to a cough-drop. "Couple of things hit you when you try the product. One is, wow, why would anybody smoke marijuana given this is an alternative?" Johnson explained. "And then secondly, it's just very, very pleasant. I mean, very pleasant."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- The economics of Halloween: By the numbers
Subscribe to the Week