- The state motto: 'It grows as it goes' July 1
Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico and later the Libertarian presidential nominee in 2012, is now back in the public eye — as the new CEO of a marijuana company, Cannabis Sativa Inc. And not only that, but Johnson will work for a salary of just $1 a year.
The company, which named itself after the scientific name for a common marijuana species, hopes to sell both medical and recreational marijuana products.
"I generally believe this is changing the planet for the better," said Johnson, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. "It also is a bet on the future…We think we have the creme de la creme of marijuana products."
For example, one of the company's items will be similar to a cough-drop. "Couple of things hit you when you try the product. One is, wow, why would anybody smoke marijuana given this is an alternative?" Johnson explained. "And then secondly, it's just very, very pleasant. I mean, very pleasant."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week