- The state motto: 'It grows as it goes' July 1
Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico and later the Libertarian presidential nominee in 2012, is now back in the public eye — as the new CEO of a marijuana company, Cannabis Sativa Inc. And not only that, but Johnson will work for a salary of just $1 a year.
The company, which named itself after the scientific name for a common marijuana species, hopes to sell both medical and recreational marijuana products.
"I generally believe this is changing the planet for the better," said Johnson, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. "It also is a bet on the future…We think we have the creme de la creme of marijuana products."
For example, one of the company's items will be similar to a cough-drop. "Couple of things hit you when you try the product. One is, wow, why would anybody smoke marijuana given this is an alternative?" Johnson explained. "And then secondly, it's just very, very pleasant. I mean, very pleasant."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
Subscribe to the Week