- The state motto: 'It grows as it goes' July 1
Gary Johnson, the former Republican governor of New Mexico and later the Libertarian presidential nominee in 2012, is now back in the public eye — as the new CEO of a marijuana company, Cannabis Sativa Inc. And not only that, but Johnson will work for a salary of just $1 a year.
The company, which named itself after the scientific name for a common marijuana species, hopes to sell both medical and recreational marijuana products.
"I generally believe this is changing the planet for the better," said Johnson, the Associated Press reported Tuesday. "It also is a bet on the future…We think we have the creme de la creme of marijuana products."
For example, one of the company's items will be similar to a cough-drop. "Couple of things hit you when you try the product. One is, wow, why would anybody smoke marijuana given this is an alternative?" Johnson explained. "And then secondly, it's just very, very pleasant. I mean, very pleasant."- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
Subscribe to the Week