- [100,000 signature] Goooooooal! July 2
Tim Howard — U.S. goalkeeper, patriot, walking missile defense shield — played the game of his life Tuesday against Belgium, notching a World Cup record 16 saves. Alas, his personal glory was but a silver lining to a heartbreaking defeat for the U.S. men's soccer team.
Unwilling to let Howard walk away empty-handed though, some soccer fans launched a petition asking President Obama to change the name of D.C.'s airport to "Tim Howard National Airport." The reasoning is bullet — er, ball-proof.
The petition reads: "Whereas Tim Howard has shown himself to be a national treasure, Minister of Defense, Friend of Joe Biden, and the holder for the record of most saves in a World Cup match; Therefore, we politely request that we rename the airport to recognize his accomplishments, and meritorious service to the United States of America."
As of 9:00 am Wednesday, the petition had 2,500 signatures. It needs another 97,500 and change to compel a White House response.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How Israel's hawks intimidated and silenced the last remnants of the anti-war left
- The real lesson of Rick Perry's mug shot
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Welcome to the age of ambivalent feminism
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- How Republicans could win back Silicon Valley
- Making officers more diverse isn't enough to stop police violence
Subscribe to the Week