- [100,000 signature] Goooooooal! July 2
Tim Howard — U.S. goalkeeper, patriot, walking missile defense shield — played the game of his life Tuesday against Belgium, notching a World Cup record 16 saves. Alas, his personal glory was but a silver lining to a heartbreaking defeat for the U.S. men's soccer team.
Unwilling to let Howard walk away empty-handed though, some soccer fans launched a petition asking President Obama to change the name of D.C.'s airport to "Tim Howard National Airport." The reasoning is bullet — er, ball-proof.
The petition reads: "Whereas Tim Howard has shown himself to be a national treasure, Minister of Defense, Friend of Joe Biden, and the holder for the record of most saves in a World Cup match; Therefore, we politely request that we rename the airport to recognize his accomplishments, and meritorious service to the United States of America."
As of 9:00 am Wednesday, the petition had 2,500 signatures. It needs another 97,500 and change to compel a White House response.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How The Killing survived two cancellations and ended on its own terms
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week