- [100,000 signature] Goooooooal! July 2
Tim Howard — U.S. goalkeeper, patriot, walking missile defense shield — played the game of his life Tuesday against Belgium, notching a World Cup record 16 saves. Alas, his personal glory was but a silver lining to a heartbreaking defeat for the U.S. men's soccer team.
Unwilling to let Howard walk away empty-handed though, some soccer fans launched a petition asking President Obama to change the name of D.C.'s airport to "Tim Howard National Airport." The reasoning is bullet — er, ball-proof.
The petition reads: "Whereas Tim Howard has shown himself to be a national treasure, Minister of Defense, Friend of Joe Biden, and the holder for the record of most saves in a World Cup match; Therefore, we politely request that we rename the airport to recognize his accomplishments, and meritorious service to the United States of America."
As of 9:00 am Wednesday, the petition had 2,500 signatures. It needs another 97,500 and change to compel a White House response.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week