- Coming Soon July 2
Though Bill Murray has turned up in supporting roles in films like The Monuments Men and The Grand Budapest Hotel — and crashed numerous engagement photos and bachelor parties, to the delight of the internet — St. Vincent is his first starring role since 2012's Hyde Park on Hudson, and he's clearly making the most of it.
Murray stars in St. Vincent as a cynical, solitary man whose life is shaken up when a new neighbor (Melissa McCarthy) turns up next door with her son. McCarthy says she'll pay Murray $11 an hour if he watches her son after school, and an unlikely bond eventually forms between the awkward kid and the irascible older man as they go to bars and horse races together.
It's a fairly clichéd setup for a comedy — but based on the strength of the cast and this funny, heartwarming trailer, St. Vincent is worth keeping an eye on when it arrives in October. --Scott Meslow
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week