- Obummer July 2
President Obama is the worst commander-in-chief since World War II, according to a plurality of Americans.
In a Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday, 33 percent of voters said Obama is the worst president since at least the 1940s. (The question used the end of World War II as its cutoff.) George W. Bush came in a close second with 28 percent, followed by Richard Nixon at 13 percent.
Now, the poll should be taken with a little grain of salt. Recent presidents are expected to stand out on a subjective ranking encompassing many decades because of their temporal proximity. How many respondents weren't even born when Carter ran the White House? Hence, though Obama is named the worst president of the bunch, he's also named the fourth-best.
That said, the poll is still a brutal one for the president. Fifty-three percent of voters disapprove of his job performance — and a 45 percent plurality say the nation would be better off had Mitt Romney won the 2012 election.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week