- Obummer July 2
President Obama is the worst commander-in-chief since World War II, according to a plurality of Americans.
In a Quinnipiac poll released Wednesday, 33 percent of voters said Obama is the worst president since at least the 1940s. (The question used the end of World War II as its cutoff.) George W. Bush came in a close second with 28 percent, followed by Richard Nixon at 13 percent.
Now, the poll should be taken with a little grain of salt. Recent presidents are expected to stand out on a subjective ranking encompassing many decades because of their temporal proximity. How many respondents weren't even born when Carter ran the White House? Hence, though Obama is named the worst president of the bunch, he's also named the fourth-best.
That said, the poll is still a brutal one for the president. Fifty-three percent of voters disapprove of his job performance — and a 45 percent plurality say the nation would be better off had Mitt Romney won the 2012 election.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
Subscribe to the Week