- Don't bring your gun to town July 2
Target is taking aim at "open carry" demonstrators.
After watching gun-toting protesters flood other businesses to make a point about the legality of packing heat, Target is asking its customers to leave their guns at home lest they spoil the "family-friendly" atmosphere of its stores.
"This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief," the company says in a statement. "Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create."
Like Chipotle, Target is not banning guns from its stores, but rather asking patrons for a little help in creating a non-threatening environment.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
Subscribe to the Week