- Don't bring your gun to town July 2
Target is taking aim at "open carry" demonstrators.
After watching gun-toting protesters flood other businesses to make a point about the legality of packing heat, Target is asking its customers to leave their guns at home lest they spoil the "family-friendly" atmosphere of its stores.
"This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief," the company says in a statement. "Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create."
Like Chipotle, Target is not banning guns from its stores, but rather asking patrons for a little help in creating a non-threatening environment.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: September 30, 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- What the Romney boomlet says about the establishment GOP's feeble 2016 field
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week