- Don't bring your gun to town July 2
Target is taking aim at "open carry" demonstrators.
After watching gun-toting protesters flood other businesses to make a point about the legality of packing heat, Target is asking its customers to leave their guns at home lest they spoil the "family-friendly" atmosphere of its stores.
"This is a complicated issue, but it boils down to a simple belief," the company says in a statement. "Bringing firearms to Target creates an environment that is at odds with the family-friendly shopping and work experience we strive to create."
Like Chipotle, Target is not banning guns from its stores, but rather asking patrons for a little help in creating a non-threatening environment.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- What the media gets wrong about Jeb Bush
Subscribe to the Week