- America the Beautiful July 2
Bet you didn't see that one coming.
Amazon.com released a list of cities this week it deemed "most patriotic," according to the dubious calculation of how many American flags residents of said cities purchased from the online retailer between Jan. 1 and June 24 of this year.
Granted, I'm not sure how many other ways Amazon.com could have assessed a place's commitment to America. Still, as a New York apartment dweller myself, I would hazard a guess that places where residents have, you know, houses (and therefore the option of flagpoles), had a bit of a head start in this competition. While Washington, D.C. is only the third most patriotic city, the good news is that our nation's capital still spent the most on the flags it did purchase.
Check out the top 10, below, and view the full list over at WJLA.com. --Sarah Eberspacher
1. Virginia Beach, Virginia
2. Miami, Florida
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Atlanta, Georgia
5. Las Vegas, Nevada
6. Tucson, Arizona
7. Charlotte, North Carolina
8. Seattle, Washington
9. San Diego, California
10. Raleigh, North Carolina
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Pope Francis' American problem
Subscribe to the Week