- America the Beautiful July 2
Bet you didn't see that one coming.
Amazon.com released a list of cities this week it deemed "most patriotic," according to the dubious calculation of how many American flags residents of said cities purchased from the online retailer between Jan. 1 and June 24 of this year.
Granted, I'm not sure how many other ways Amazon.com could have assessed a place's commitment to America. Still, as a New York apartment dweller myself, I would hazard a guess that places where residents have, you know, houses (and therefore the option of flagpoles), had a bit of a head start in this competition. While Washington, D.C. is only the third most patriotic city, the good news is that our nation's capital still spent the most on the flags it did purchase.
Check out the top 10, below, and view the full list over at WJLA.com. --Sarah Eberspacher
1. Virginia Beach, Virginia
2. Miami, Florida
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Atlanta, Georgia
5. Las Vegas, Nevada
6. Tucson, Arizona
7. Charlotte, North Carolina
8. Seattle, Washington
9. San Diego, California
10. Raleigh, North Carolina
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
- Uncle Sam wants you to stay away from these countries
- 10 things you need to know today: October 19, 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How ISIS gets its hostages
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week