- America the Beautiful July 2
Bet you didn't see that one coming.
Amazon.com released a list of cities this week it deemed "most patriotic," according to the dubious calculation of how many American flags residents of said cities purchased from the online retailer between Jan. 1 and June 24 of this year.
Granted, I'm not sure how many other ways Amazon.com could have assessed a place's commitment to America. Still, as a New York apartment dweller myself, I would hazard a guess that places where residents have, you know, houses (and therefore the option of flagpoles), had a bit of a head start in this competition. While Washington, D.C. is only the third most patriotic city, the good news is that our nation's capital still spent the most on the flags it did purchase.
Check out the top 10, below, and view the full list over at WJLA.com. --Sarah Eberspacher
1. Virginia Beach, Virginia
2. Miami, Florida
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Atlanta, Georgia
5. Las Vegas, Nevada
6. Tucson, Arizona
7. Charlotte, North Carolina
8. Seattle, Washington
9. San Diego, California
10. Raleigh, North Carolina
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week