- America the Beautiful July 2
Bet you didn't see that one coming.
Amazon.com released a list of cities this week it deemed "most patriotic," according to the dubious calculation of how many American flags residents of said cities purchased from the online retailer between Jan. 1 and June 24 of this year.
Granted, I'm not sure how many other ways Amazon.com could have assessed a place's commitment to America. Still, as a New York apartment dweller myself, I would hazard a guess that places where residents have, you know, houses (and therefore the option of flagpoles), had a bit of a head start in this competition. While Washington, D.C. is only the third most patriotic city, the good news is that our nation's capital still spent the most on the flags it did purchase.
Check out the top 10, below, and view the full list over at WJLA.com. --Sarah Eberspacher
1. Virginia Beach, Virginia
2. Miami, Florida
3. Washington, D.C.
4. Atlanta, Georgia
5. Las Vegas, Nevada
6. Tucson, Arizona
7. Charlotte, North Carolina
8. Seattle, Washington
9. San Diego, California
10. Raleigh, North Carolina
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week