- Coming Soon July 2
George Takei is as famous for his social media presence and LGBT activism as he is for his portrayal of Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek. The documentary To Be Takei, directed by Jennifer M. Kroot, will focus on all of his accomplishments.
The film's website reports that it will document Takei's life from "a WWII internment camp, to the helm of the starship Enterprise, to the daily news feeds of five million Facebook fans."
The documentary premiered in January at Sundance, and The Verge reports that it will debut in theaters on August 22. Watch To Be Takei's first trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week