- Coming Soon July 2
George Takei is as famous for his social media presence and LGBT activism as he is for his portrayal of Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek. The documentary To Be Takei, directed by Jennifer M. Kroot, will focus on all of his accomplishments.
The film's website reports that it will document Takei's life from "a WWII internment camp, to the helm of the starship Enterprise, to the daily news feeds of five million Facebook fans."
The documentary premiered in January at Sundance, and The Verge reports that it will debut in theaters on August 22. Watch To Be Takei's first trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
Subscribe to the Week