- Coming Soon July 2
George Takei is as famous for his social media presence and LGBT activism as he is for his portrayal of Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek. The documentary To Be Takei, directed by Jennifer M. Kroot, will focus on all of his accomplishments.
The film's website reports that it will document Takei's life from "a WWII internment camp, to the helm of the starship Enterprise, to the daily news feeds of five million Facebook fans."
The documentary premiered in January at Sundance, and The Verge reports that it will debut in theaters on August 22. Watch To Be Takei's first trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Surviving a plane crash
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi: The man who would be caliph
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- When men who abstain from pre-marital sex get married
- Confessions of a hotel insider
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week