- Coming Soon July 2
George Takei is as famous for his social media presence and LGBT activism as he is for his portrayal of Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek. The documentary To Be Takei, directed by Jennifer M. Kroot, will focus on all of his accomplishments.
The film's website reports that it will document Takei's life from "a WWII internment camp, to the helm of the starship Enterprise, to the daily news feeds of five million Facebook fans."
The documentary premiered in January at Sundance, and The Verge reports that it will debut in theaters on August 22. Watch To Be Takei's first trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The best books we read in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to wrap a present with mathematical precision (and waste less paper)
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
Subscribe to the Week