- Coming Soon July 2
George Takei is as famous for his social media presence and LGBT activism as he is for his portrayal of Hikaru Sulu in the original Star Trek. The documentary To Be Takei, directed by Jennifer M. Kroot, will focus on all of his accomplishments.
The film's website reports that it will document Takei's life from "a WWII internment camp, to the helm of the starship Enterprise, to the daily news feeds of five million Facebook fans."
The documentary premiered in January at Sundance, and The Verge reports that it will debut in theaters on August 22. Watch To Be Takei's first trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
Subscribe to the Week