- should have gone to match.com July 3
A Denver teenager looking for love has instead found herself in a lot of trouble.
Federal authorities say that Shannon Maureen Conley, 19, of Arvada, Colorado met an ISIS fighter online, and was instantly smitten. She planned on traveling to Syria to aid the cause, but was arrested April 8 at the Denver International Airport by FBI agents and charged with conspiracy to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization.
Conley, a certified nurse's aid, had told her online paramour — who, according to Conley's parents, is a 32-year-old Tunisian — that she would act as a nurse for his fellow fighters. She also planned on becoming his wife and living with him near the Turkish border.
On Wednesday, the court documents from April 9 were unsealed, and they spell out how Conley planned on joining her future husband. "Conley stated that she was aware her plans were potentially illegal and she could possibly get arrested, and therefore she has no intention to return to the U.S.," the affidavit read. She also told investigators she would engage in combat if she had to, "but she wouldn't like it."
In December, Conley spoke with investigators following an incident where she behaved strangely at Faith Bible Chapel in Arvada, the affidavit said. She said she joined the U.S. Army Explorers and was going to use the training overseas, and "also intended to train Islamic Jihadi fighters in U.S. military tactics." The affidavit also said she had wanted to serve in the U.S. military but didn't believe it would accept her religious beliefs.
At the time, the investigators attempted to veer Conley away from her goal of joining ISIS, and asked her parents — who did not approve of her plan — to help.- - Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Pretending we're not at war
Subscribe to the Week