- Quotables July 3
If you're a budding actress who's tired of being pigeonholed into the same stereotypical roles, Zoe Saldana has some advice for you: Leave Earth behind.
Saldana is no stranger to sci-fi acting in otherworldly settings, having starred in Star Trek and Avatar as well as the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy. In an interview with Alamo Drafthouse's magazine, BIRTH. MOVIES. DEATH, Saldana explained that in space, women have more empowering roles:
I like being in space because there are better parts for women in space. I don't have to subject myself to just being the love interest or playing a character that doesn't feel relevant to the story or playing a woman that doesn't feel like an actual depiction of a real woman.
There you have it, folks. For an "actual depiction of a real woman," you'll just have to leave this planet and cover yourself in blue paint.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
Subscribe to the Week