- Quotables July 3
If you're a budding actress who's tired of being pigeonholed into the same stereotypical roles, Zoe Saldana has some advice for you: Leave Earth behind.
Saldana is no stranger to sci-fi acting in otherworldly settings, having starred in Star Trek and Avatar as well as the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy. In an interview with Alamo Drafthouse's magazine, BIRTH. MOVIES. DEATH, Saldana explained that in space, women have more empowering roles:
I like being in space because there are better parts for women in space. I don't have to subject myself to just being the love interest or playing a character that doesn't feel relevant to the story or playing a woman that doesn't feel like an actual depiction of a real woman.
There you have it, folks. For an "actual depiction of a real woman," you'll just have to leave this planet and cover yourself in blue paint.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week