- 2014 Watch July 3
Rep. Bill Cassidy (R-La.), who is running in his state's top-tier race for U.S. Senate, announced Thursday that his 17-year old daughter is pregnant.
In a statement provided to the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Cassidy said:
Earlier this year, Laura and I learned we will become grandparents this summer. Our children have been the greatest blessing of our lives and we welcome our grandchild as a joyous addition to our family. Our daughter now faces a more challenging future than her peers. She has our unconditional love and support.
A recent poll showed Cassidy and incumbent Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu tied at 47 percent each, in a possible December runoff election under Louisiana's electoral system.- - Eric Kleefeld
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- How to rescue the American family and fix the broken school system in one fell swoop
Subscribe to the Week