- Made in China July 4
If you're celebrating Independence Day by wearing an American flag t-shirt, setting off some Roman candles, and waving the stars and stripes, there's a good chance you just indirectly handed a few factories in China a wad of cash. As The Washington Post's Christopher Ingraham says:
The United States imported $4 million in U.S. flags last year, 97 percent of which came from China. And it's not just flags — like other consumer goods, the lions' share of our patriotic paraphernalia was made in China. [The Washington Post]
Watch this video by The Washington Post for more:- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week