- Made in China July 4
If you're celebrating Independence Day by wearing an American flag t-shirt, setting off some Roman candles, and waving the stars and stripes, there's a good chance you just indirectly handed a few factories in China a wad of cash. As The Washington Post's Christopher Ingraham says:
The United States imported $4 million in U.S. flags last year, 97 percent of which came from China. And it's not just flags — like other consumer goods, the lions' share of our patriotic paraphernalia was made in China. [The Washington Post]
Watch this video by The Washington Post for more:- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- The slippery slope of Twitter's attempts to stop harassment against women
Subscribe to the Week