- This is terrible July 4
An unfinished highway overpass collapsed in one of Brazil's World Cup host cities, Belo Horizonte, on Thursday, killing at least one person and stoking local criticism of the rushed preparations for the global soccer championship. "Because of the World Cup they sped everything up to finish faster. That's why this tragedy has happened," said Leandro Brito, 23, a bank worker. The bridge — two miles from Mineirao Stadium — crushed a car and part of a passenger bus that were passing underneath. Read more at Reuters.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Pope Francis' American problem
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Your weekly streaming recommendation: The One I Love
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week