- This is terrible July 4
An unfinished highway overpass collapsed in one of Brazil's World Cup host cities, Belo Horizonte, on Thursday, killing at least one person and stoking local criticism of the rushed preparations for the global soccer championship. "Because of the World Cup they sped everything up to finish faster. That's why this tragedy has happened," said Leandro Brito, 23, a bank worker. The bridge — two miles from Mineirao Stadium — crushed a car and part of a passenger bus that were passing underneath. Read more at Reuters.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- 400,000 Americans marched for climate justice. Now what?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
Subscribe to the Week