- This just in July 5
A Palestinian teenager who was abducted and murdered last week had ash in his lungs when he died, indicating he was set ablaze while still alive, according to an autopsy.
Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abu Khedair was snatched before dawn on Wednesday in Jerusalem, and his killing inflamed already strained relations between Israel and Palestine. Though police have yet to identify the assailants or offer a motive, the attack was widely seen as retribution for the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teens last month.
Israel killed five and rounded up some 400 more in the manhunt for the missing teens, and then beefed up security to curb an outpouring of anger from Palestinians who felt they were being collectively punished. That animosity boiled over on Friday when fighting broke out between Palestinians and Israeli police during Khedair's funeral, leaving more than 60 people injured.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week