- This just in July 5
A Palestinian teenager who was abducted and murdered last week had ash in his lungs when he died, indicating he was set ablaze while still alive, according to an autopsy.
Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abu Khedair was snatched before dawn on Wednesday in Jerusalem, and his killing inflamed already strained relations between Israel and Palestine. Though police have yet to identify the assailants or offer a motive, the attack was widely seen as retribution for the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teens last month.
Israel killed five and rounded up some 400 more in the manhunt for the missing teens, and then beefed up security to curb an outpouring of anger from Palestinians who felt they were being collectively punished. That animosity boiled over on Friday when fighting broke out between Palestinians and Israeli police during Khedair's funeral, leaving more than 60 people injured.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- The secret advantages of great penmanship
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- How the brides of ISIS are attracting Western women
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
Subscribe to the Week