- This just in July 5
A Palestinian teenager who was abducted and murdered last week had ash in his lungs when he died, indicating he was set ablaze while still alive, according to an autopsy.
Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abu Khedair was snatched before dawn on Wednesday in Jerusalem, and his killing inflamed already strained relations between Israel and Palestine. Though police have yet to identify the assailants or offer a motive, the attack was widely seen as retribution for the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli teens last month.
Israel killed five and rounded up some 400 more in the manhunt for the missing teens, and then beefed up security to curb an outpouring of anger from Palestinians who felt they were being collectively punished. That animosity boiled over on Friday when fighting broke out between Palestinians and Israeli police during Khedair's funeral, leaving more than 60 people injured.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- California's epic drought
- Peter Thiel, and the not-so-secret secret of innovative success
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 20, 2014
- How Pope Francis could turn out to be a stealth reformer
Subscribe to the Week