- This just in July 6
Israeli police have arrested six suspects in connection with the killing of a Palestinian teen whose murder triggered a week of violent protests.
Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir was snatched last Wednesday outside his home in East Jerusalem in what Palestinians claimed was payback for the abduction and murder of three Israeli teenagers last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspects, though Ha'aretz described their motive as "nationalistic."
The arrests come one day after an autopsy showed Abu Khdeir died with soot in his lungs, indicating he'd been burned alive. Yet despite the arrests, the victim's mother told the Associated Press she had little faith anyone would be held accountable.
"They're only going to ask them questions and then release them," she said. "What's the point?"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to grow a microscopic alien garden
Subscribe to the Week