- This just in July 6
Israeli police have arrested six suspects in connection with the killing of a Palestinian teen whose murder triggered a week of violent protests.
Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir was snatched last Wednesday outside his home in East Jerusalem in what Palestinians claimed was payback for the abduction and murder of three Israeli teenagers last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspects, though Ha'aretz described their motive as "nationalistic."
The arrests come one day after an autopsy showed Abu Khdeir died with soot in his lungs, indicating he'd been burned alive. Yet despite the arrests, the victim's mother told the Associated Press she had little faith anyone would be held accountable.
"They're only going to ask them questions and then release them," she said. "What's the point?"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- The liberation of Barack Obama
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week