- This just in July 6
Israeli police have arrested six suspects in connection with the killing of a Palestinian teen whose murder triggered a week of violent protests.
Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir was snatched last Wednesday outside his home in East Jerusalem in what Palestinians claimed was payback for the abduction and murder of three Israeli teenagers last month. Police have not publicly identified the suspects, though Ha'aretz described their motive as "nationalistic."
The arrests come one day after an autopsy showed Abu Khdeir died with soot in his lungs, indicating he'd been burned alive. Yet despite the arrests, the victim's mother told the Associated Press she had little faith anyone would be held accountable.
"They're only going to ask them questions and then release them," she said. "What's the point?"- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week