- #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave July 6
President Obama congratulated the United States men's soccer team on their World Cup run, and said that he was listening to Americans' pleas that he make goalkeeper Tim Howard his next defense secretary.
"Chuck Hagel's got that spot right now, but if there is a vacancy, I promise to think about it," Obama said.
There are two White House petitions involving Howard, who made a record 16 saves in the U.S.'s heartbreaking loss to Belgium. One asks that he be named secretary of defense, while the other calls on Obama to rename D.C.'s airport the "Tim Howard National Airport." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to make corn dogs
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- Why America needs more billionaires
Subscribe to the Week