- #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave July 6
President Obama congratulated the United States men's soccer team on their World Cup run, and said that he was listening to Americans' pleas that he make goalkeeper Tim Howard his next defense secretary.
"Chuck Hagel's got that spot right now, but if there is a vacancy, I promise to think about it," Obama said.
There are two White House petitions involving Howard, who made a record 16 saves in the U.S.'s heartbreaking loss to Belgium. One asks that he be named secretary of defense, while the other calls on Obama to rename D.C.'s airport the "Tim Howard National Airport." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week