- #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave July 6
President Obama congratulated the United States men's soccer team on their World Cup run, and said that he was listening to Americans' pleas that he make goalkeeper Tim Howard his next defense secretary.
"Chuck Hagel's got that spot right now, but if there is a vacancy, I promise to think about it," Obama said.
There are two White House petitions involving Howard, who made a record 16 saves in the U.S.'s heartbreaking loss to Belgium. One asks that he be named secretary of defense, while the other calls on Obama to rename D.C.'s airport the "Tim Howard National Airport." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week