- #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave July 6
President Obama congratulated the United States men's soccer team on their World Cup run, and said that he was listening to Americans' pleas that he make goalkeeper Tim Howard his next defense secretary.
"Chuck Hagel's got that spot right now, but if there is a vacancy, I promise to think about it," Obama said.
There are two White House petitions involving Howard, who made a record 16 saves in the U.S.'s heartbreaking loss to Belgium. One asks that he be named secretary of defense, while the other calls on Obama to rename D.C.'s airport the "Tim Howard National Airport." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week