- #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave July 6
President Obama congratulated the United States men's soccer team on their World Cup run, and said that he was listening to Americans' pleas that he make goalkeeper Tim Howard his next defense secretary.
"Chuck Hagel's got that spot right now, but if there is a vacancy, I promise to think about it," Obama said.
There are two White House petitions involving Howard, who made a record 16 saves in the U.S.'s heartbreaking loss to Belgium. One asks that he be named secretary of defense, while the other calls on Obama to rename D.C.'s airport the "Tim Howard National Airport." --Jon Terbush
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
Subscribe to the Week