- You be the judge July 6
A Norfolk, Nebraska, parade float depicting the Obama presidential library as an outhouse has come under fire for its allegedly racist undertone. Carried on the back of a flatbed truck in the town's Independence Day parade, the float showed a dummy in overalls standing outside the makeshift latrine.
The state Democratic Party called the float one of the "worst shows of racism and disrespect for the presidency that Nebraska has ever seen." Yet the float nonetheless received some of the day's heartiest cheers, according to the Lincoln Journal Star. And organizers defended the float, with parade committee member Rick Konopasek likening it to a political cartoon.
"We don't feel its right to tell someone what they can and can't express," he said. "This was political satire. If we start saying no to certain floats, we might as well not have a parade at all."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week