- You be the judge July 6
A Norfolk, Nebraska, parade float depicting the Obama presidential library as an outhouse has come under fire for its allegedly racist undertone. Carried on the back of a flatbed truck in the town's Independence Day parade, the float showed a dummy in overalls standing outside the makeshift latrine.
The state Democratic Party called the float one of the "worst shows of racism and disrespect for the presidency that Nebraska has ever seen." Yet the float nonetheless received some of the day's heartiest cheers, according to the Lincoln Journal Star. And organizers defended the float, with parade committee member Rick Konopasek likening it to a political cartoon.
"We don't feel its right to tell someone what they can and can't express," he said. "This was political satire. If we start saying no to certain floats, we might as well not have a parade at all."- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- What if The Purge was real?
Subscribe to the Week