- Adorable July 6
On Sunday, Yuan Zai celebrated a milestone: The first panda born in Taiwan turned 1, and thousands of visitors came out to the Taipei Zoo to mark the occasion.
Yuan Zai has been a huge boost to the zoo, bringing in 1.6 million visitors since her birth. Zookeepers made her a cake out of her favorite foods — bamboo, apples, carrots, and pineapples — and she also played a traditional first birthday game called zhua zhou, but with a twist. Eight bamboo shoots were set up representing endangered species, and she will become the spokeswoman for the one she pulled down. Watch Yuan Zai celebrate in the clip below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Stop hating on cyclists
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week