- Adorable July 6
On Sunday, Yuan Zai celebrated a milestone: The first panda born in Taiwan turned 1, and thousands of visitors came out to the Taipei Zoo to mark the occasion.
Yuan Zai has been a huge boost to the zoo, bringing in 1.6 million visitors since her birth. Zookeepers made her a cake out of her favorite foods — bamboo, apples, carrots, and pineapples — and she also played a traditional first birthday game called zhua zhou, but with a twist. Eight bamboo shoots were set up representing endangered species, and she will become the spokeswoman for the one she pulled down. Watch Yuan Zai celebrate in the clip below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- After Ferguson, we don't need another dialogue on race
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- The world is on fire and neither Democrats or Republicans have a clue
- In defense of Obama's golfing
- The government is getting into the fact-checking business. Be very, very afraid.
- How Democrats might goad the GOP into shutting down the government
- A trick for better lunch sandwiches
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week