- Adorable July 6
On Sunday, Yuan Zai celebrated a milestone: The first panda born in Taiwan turned 1, and thousands of visitors came out to the Taipei Zoo to mark the occasion.
Yuan Zai has been a huge boost to the zoo, bringing in 1.6 million visitors since her birth. Zookeepers made her a cake out of her favorite foods — bamboo, apples, carrots, and pineapples — and she also played a traditional first birthday game called zhua zhou, but with a twist. Eight bamboo shoots were set up representing endangered species, and she will become the spokeswoman for the one she pulled down. Watch Yuan Zai celebrate in the clip below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week