- Adorable July 6
On Sunday, Yuan Zai celebrated a milestone: The first panda born in Taiwan turned 1, and thousands of visitors came out to the Taipei Zoo to mark the occasion.
Yuan Zai has been a huge boost to the zoo, bringing in 1.6 million visitors since her birth. Zookeepers made her a cake out of her favorite foods — bamboo, apples, carrots, and pineapples — and she also played a traditional first birthday game called zhua zhou, but with a twist. Eight bamboo shoots were set up representing endangered species, and she will become the spokeswoman for the one she pulled down. Watch Yuan Zai celebrate in the clip below. --Catherine Garcia
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week