- All-Star Lame July 7
The 2014 All-Star Game lineups are out, and as always, the fans made some terrible choices. The most glaring inclusion this year: Catcher Matt Wieters, who hasn't played a game in two months and is out for the season. But the next most glaring inclusion: Derek Jeter.
Yes, this is Jeter's farewell season, and even absent that he probably would have gotten in on name recognition alone. But per WAR, Jeter has been only the 20th best shortstop in baseball this year; even limiting it to just the American League, he ranks 11th. In a range of other offensive metrics, Jeter ranks at or near the bottom of that list, too, and he's on pace to have his worst full season ever.
Jeter is in the All-Star Game because he feels like an All-Star to most fans. This year, though, he hasn't proven he deserves the nod.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- California's epic drought
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week