- All-Star Lame July 7
The 2014 All-Star Game lineups are out, and as always, the fans made some terrible choices. The most glaring inclusion this year: Catcher Matt Wieters, who hasn't played a game in two months and is out for the season. But the next most glaring inclusion: Derek Jeter.
Yes, this is Jeter's farewell season, and even absent that he probably would have gotten in on name recognition alone. But per WAR, Jeter has been only the 20th best shortstop in baseball this year; even limiting it to just the American League, he ranks 11th. In a range of other offensive metrics, Jeter ranks at or near the bottom of that list, too, and he's on pace to have his worst full season ever.
Jeter is in the All-Star Game because he feels like an All-Star to most fans. This year, though, he hasn't proven he deserves the nod.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week