- WTF LOL SCOTUS July 7
Nebraska Judge Richard George Kopf has a blog. He also has a strong opinion about the Supreme Court taking, in his estimation, an activist bent to some of its recent rulings.
Writing on his blog, Kopf said that the high court would have been better off not taking the Hobby Lobby case, in which the justices ruled against ObamaCare's contraceptive mandate. Given the deeply controversial nature of the issue, and the low probability that any "significant harm" would have occurred absent a ruling, the court should have sat on its hands, he said.
"This term and several past terms have proven that the Court is now causing more harm (division) to our democracy than good by deciding hot button cases that the Court has the power to avoid," he wrote. "As the kids say, it is time for the Court to STFU."
Either out of habit or as a service to curious readers, Kopf helpfully cited a source for the definition of STFU: Urban Dictionary.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Three major publications have acknowledged plagiarism by Fareed Zakaria. Does CNN have no shame?
Subscribe to the Week