- WTF LOL SCOTUS July 7
Nebraska Judge Richard George Kopf has a blog. He also has a strong opinion about the Supreme Court taking, in his estimation, an activist bent to some of its recent rulings.
Writing on his blog, Kopf said that the high court would have been better off not taking the Hobby Lobby case, in which the justices ruled against ObamaCare's contraceptive mandate. Given the deeply controversial nature of the issue, and the low probability that any "significant harm" would have occurred absent a ruling, the court should have sat on its hands, he said.
"This term and several past terms have proven that the Court is now causing more harm (division) to our democracy than good by deciding hot button cases that the Court has the power to avoid," he wrote. "As the kids say, it is time for the Court to STFU."
Either out of habit or as a service to curious readers, Kopf helpfully cited a source for the definition of STFU: Urban Dictionary.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
Subscribe to the Week