- WTF LOL SCOTUS July 7
Nebraska Judge Richard George Kopf has a blog. He also has a strong opinion about the Supreme Court taking, in his estimation, an activist bent to some of its recent rulings.
Writing on his blog, Kopf said that the high court would have been better off not taking the Hobby Lobby case, in which the justices ruled against ObamaCare's contraceptive mandate. Given the deeply controversial nature of the issue, and the low probability that any "significant harm" would have occurred absent a ruling, the court should have sat on its hands, he said.
"This term and several past terms have proven that the Court is now causing more harm (division) to our democracy than good by deciding hot button cases that the Court has the power to avoid," he wrote. "As the kids say, it is time for the Court to STFU."
Either out of habit or as a service to curious readers, Kopf helpfully cited a source for the definition of STFU: Urban Dictionary.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The 7 best Halloween-themed editorial cartoons
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week