- WTF LOL SCOTUS July 7
Nebraska Judge Richard George Kopf has a blog. He also has a strong opinion about the Supreme Court taking, in his estimation, an activist bent to some of its recent rulings.
Writing on his blog, Kopf said that the high court would have been better off not taking the Hobby Lobby case, in which the justices ruled against ObamaCare's contraceptive mandate. Given the deeply controversial nature of the issue, and the low probability that any "significant harm" would have occurred absent a ruling, the court should have sat on its hands, he said.
"This term and several past terms have proven that the Court is now causing more harm (division) to our democracy than good by deciding hot button cases that the Court has the power to avoid," he wrote. "As the kids say, it is time for the Court to STFU."
Either out of habit or as a service to curious readers, Kopf helpfully cited a source for the definition of STFU: Urban Dictionary.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- 10 things you need to know today: October 1, 2014
- Why colleges' insistence on 'diversity' actually fails disadvantaged kids
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The dumb war in Syria will haunt Democrats' 2014 prospects
Subscribe to the Week