- Laughing all the way to the bank July 8
Film critics almost universally dislike director Michael Bay, but as his very lucrative (and somewhat formulaic) Transformers franchise proves, audiences love him — Transformers 4: Age of Extinction is pulling in cash hand-over-fist. Jimmy Kimmel noted this discrepancy between critical loathing and audience approval on Monday night's Jimmy Kimmel Live, then took it one step further, asking critics who've panned Bay films (a wide pool) to say something nice about the super-wealthy director.
It's actually kind of a sweet idea. And the prominent movie critics come in at different points on the "nice" scale — "Well, he seems to have great hair, and I hear he's above average in the height department," says the Chicago Sun Times' Richard Roeper in one of the more cutting compliments (but not the worst). A little passive-aggressive? Sure, but at least their hearts are almost certainly in the wrong place — and who is Bay to object to something with high entertainment value? --Peter Weber
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week