- Shake on it? July 8
Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) turned down an invitation to greet President Obama when the president lands in Austin on Wednesday. His reason: A quick tarmac meeting wouldn't give them ample time to discuss immigration.
"I appreciate the offer to greet you at Austin-Bergstrom Airport," Perry wrote to the White House, "but a quick handshake on the tarmac will not allow for a thoughtful discussion regarding the humanitarian and national security crises enveloping the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas."
Perry — who recently suggested Obama had an "ulterior motive" and was perhaps coordinating the sudden surge of immigrants — said he would be willing to hold a "substantive" meeting with the president instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
Subscribe to the Week