- Shake on it? July 8
Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) turned down an invitation to greet President Obama when the president lands in Austin on Wednesday. His reason: A quick tarmac meeting wouldn't give them ample time to discuss immigration.
"I appreciate the offer to greet you at Austin-Bergstrom Airport," Perry wrote to the White House, "but a quick handshake on the tarmac will not allow for a thoughtful discussion regarding the humanitarian and national security crises enveloping the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas."
Perry — who recently suggested Obama had an "ulterior motive" and was perhaps coordinating the sudden surge of immigrants — said he would be willing to hold a "substantive" meeting with the president instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week