- Shake on it? July 8
Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) turned down an invitation to greet President Obama when the president lands in Austin on Wednesday. His reason: A quick tarmac meeting wouldn't give them ample time to discuss immigration.
"I appreciate the offer to greet you at Austin-Bergstrom Airport," Perry wrote to the White House, "but a quick handshake on the tarmac will not allow for a thoughtful discussion regarding the humanitarian and national security crises enveloping the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas."
Perry — who recently suggested Obama had an "ulterior motive" and was perhaps coordinating the sudden surge of immigrants — said he would be willing to hold a "substantive" meeting with the president instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- One girl's extraordinarily wild world
- 10 things you need to know today: December 18, 2014
Subscribe to the Week