- Shake on it? July 8
Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) turned down an invitation to greet President Obama when the president lands in Austin on Wednesday. His reason: A quick tarmac meeting wouldn't give them ample time to discuss immigration.
"I appreciate the offer to greet you at Austin-Bergstrom Airport," Perry wrote to the White House, "but a quick handshake on the tarmac will not allow for a thoughtful discussion regarding the humanitarian and national security crises enveloping the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas."
Perry — who recently suggested Obama had an "ulterior motive" and was perhaps coordinating the sudden surge of immigrants — said he would be willing to hold a "substantive" meeting with the president instead.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
Subscribe to the Week