- Sweet for my Sweets July 8
Crumbs Bake Shop, America's largest specialty cupcake chain, quietly shut down all of its stores Monday night.
Crumbs had 48 stores in 10 states and Washington, D.C. After going public on the Nasdaq exchange in 2011 and expanding too quickly, the company ran into major financial issues.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Crumbs employees had no knowledge of the closing before Monday. "Regrettably, Crumbs has been forced to cease operations and is immediately attending to the dislocation of its devoted employees while it evaluates its limited remaining options," the company said in a statement. Those options may include filing for bankruptcy.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week