- Sweet for my Sweets July 8
Crumbs Bake Shop, America's largest specialty cupcake chain, quietly shut down all of its stores Monday night.
Crumbs had 48 stores in 10 states and Washington, D.C. After going public on the Nasdaq exchange in 2011 and expanding too quickly, the company ran into major financial issues.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Crumbs employees had no knowledge of the closing before Monday. "Regrettably, Crumbs has been forced to cease operations and is immediately attending to the dislocation of its devoted employees while it evaluates its limited remaining options," the company said in a statement. Those options may include filing for bankruptcy.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week