- Sweet for my Sweets July 8
Crumbs Bake Shop, America's largest specialty cupcake chain, quietly shut down all of its stores Monday night.
Crumbs had 48 stores in 10 states and Washington, D.C. After going public on the Nasdaq exchange in 2011 and expanding too quickly, the company ran into major financial issues.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Crumbs employees had no knowledge of the closing before Monday. "Regrettably, Crumbs has been forced to cease operations and is immediately attending to the dislocation of its devoted employees while it evaluates its limited remaining options," the company said in a statement. Those options may include filing for bankruptcy.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 17, 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week