- This can't end well July 8
A coalition of armed militias is mobilizing supporters to fan out along the U.S.-Mexico border to prevent immigrants from sneaking into the country. The movement, called "Operation Secure Our Border," aims to stem the recent surge of illegal immigrants into the country. But its militaristic bent and combative swagger — plus the fact that some participants also took part in the standoff at Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch — are sparking fears of potentially violent, extralegal confrontations at the border.
"You see an illegal, you point your gun dead at him, right between his eyes, and you say, 'Get back across the border or you will be shot,'" Chris Davis, one of the organizers, says in a YouTube video that was yanked Monday amid a backlash from local Democrats.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection isn't keen on the operation; a spokesperson told the Houston Chronicle the agency does not "endorse or support any private group or organization from taking matters into their own hands as it could have disastrous personal and public safety consequences."
Still, Davis said the group would have "enough trained manpower" to begin patrols in a "legal and lawful manner" in a few weeks.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week