- Huh? July 8
"West Springfield police have two grenade launchers — why?"
That's the question the ACLU of Massachusetts posed in a Facebook post advertising its recently released annual report. The West Springfield Police Department currently has two M79 grenade launchers as well as seven M14 rifles, thanks to a Department of Defense excess property program. The department obtained the grenade launchers and rifles in the late 1990s at no cost.
Police Chief Ronald P. Campurciani told Mass Live that the grenade launchers have never been used, and they won't ever be, because their technology is now so "antiquated." "I cannot think of a scenario where we would employ those weapons," Campurciani said.
If the department doesn't plan to use the grenade launchers, though, the ACLU's question is perhaps even more valid. After all, is there really a need for a small town's police department to keep such dangerous weapons?- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week