- Confectionary condundrum July 8
A Northern Ireland bakery has come under fire for refusing to bake a cake depicting Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie, saying the cake ran counter to its Christian faith. The cake would also have featured a slogan supporting gay marriage.
The Ashers Baking Company said in a statement the cake was "at odds with what the Bible teaches," and that it had refunded the prospective customer. However, the bakery could still face legal action for refusing to do the work. Northern Ireland's Equality Commission, acting on a complaint, is looking into whether the refusal amounts to unlawful discrimination based on sexual orientation.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
Subscribe to the Week