- Confectionary condundrum July 8
A Northern Ireland bakery has come under fire for refusing to bake a cake depicting Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie, saying the cake ran counter to its Christian faith. The cake would also have featured a slogan supporting gay marriage.
The Ashers Baking Company said in a statement the cake was "at odds with what the Bible teaches," and that it had refunded the prospective customer. However, the bakery could still face legal action for refusing to do the work. Northern Ireland's Equality Commission, acting on a complaint, is looking into whether the refusal amounts to unlawful discrimination based on sexual orientation.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
Subscribe to the Week