- Oops July 8
Walmart and a few other retailers have pulled a poster depicting Germany's Dachau concentration camp from their online stores.
The poster — which somehow wound up in Amazon's and Sears' catalogs as well — shows the camp's main gate with the words "arbeit macht frei," a Nazi slogan meaning "work makes you free." Walmart apologized for the item, saying it was listed by a third-party retailer and not the store itself.
"We have shared our disappointment with them and have learned they are removing the publisher of this item entirely from inventory," the company said in a statement.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week