- Oops July 8
Walmart and a few other retailers have pulled a poster depicting Germany's Dachau concentration camp from their online stores.
The poster — which somehow wound up in Amazon's and Sears' catalogs as well — shows the camp's main gate with the words "arbeit macht frei," a Nazi slogan meaning "work makes you free." Walmart apologized for the item, saying it was listed by a third-party retailer and not the store itself.
"We have shared our disappointment with them and have learned they are removing the publisher of this item entirely from inventory," the company said in a statement.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week