- Oops July 8
Walmart and a few other retailers have pulled a poster depicting Germany's Dachau concentration camp from their online stores.
The poster — which somehow wound up in Amazon's and Sears' catalogs as well — shows the camp's main gate with the words "arbeit macht frei," a Nazi slogan meaning "work makes you free." Walmart apologized for the item, saying it was listed by a third-party retailer and not the store itself.
"We have shared our disappointment with them and have learned they are removing the publisher of this item entirely from inventory," the company said in a statement.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- 8 tricks to surviving the holidays without gaining weight or being grouchy
Subscribe to the Week