- Oops July 8
Walmart and a few other retailers have pulled a poster depicting Germany's Dachau concentration camp from their online stores.
The poster — which somehow wound up in Amazon's and Sears' catalogs as well — shows the camp's main gate with the words "arbeit macht frei," a Nazi slogan meaning "work makes you free." Walmart apologized for the item, saying it was listed by a third-party retailer and not the store itself.
"We have shared our disappointment with them and have learned they are removing the publisher of this item entirely from inventory," the company said in a statement.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- 10 things you need to know today: September 16, 2014
- How Obama inadvertently made an Israeli war with Iran all but inevitable
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
Subscribe to the Week