- Oops July 8
Walmart and a few other retailers have pulled a poster depicting Germany's Dachau concentration camp from their online stores.
The poster — which somehow wound up in Amazon's and Sears' catalogs as well — shows the camp's main gate with the words "arbeit macht frei," a Nazi slogan meaning "work makes you free." Walmart apologized for the item, saying it was listed by a third-party retailer and not the store itself.
"We have shared our disappointment with them and have learned they are removing the publisher of this item entirely from inventory," the company said in a statement.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Ismail Kadare's 6 favorite books
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- The real story behind The Conjuring and four other horror movies 'based on a true story'
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
Subscribe to the Week