- Crime and settlement July 9
Citigroup is close to a $7 billion settlement agreement to resolve a Justice Department investigation into whether it defrauded investors on billions of dollars worth of mortgage securities ahead of the financial crisis, a source familiar with the matter said Tuesday. The case is linked to a broader investigation of faulty mortgage securities that helped fuel the mid-2000s housing bubble. Several billion from the settlement, which could come next week, would go toward helping struggling borrowers. Read more at Reuters.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week