- Watch this July 10
Cheryl Strayed's best-selling memoir, Wild, about her thousand-mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, finally has its film adaptation.
Wild, which is directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, stars Reese Witherspoon as Strayed, who embarks on a vision quest after falling into depression in the wake of the death of her mother and the dissolution of her marriage.
Nick Hornby, the novelist behind bestsellers like About a Boy, is the film's screenwriter, so expect some poignant conversations. The film also stars Thomas Sadoski, Laura Dern, and Gaby Hoffman, and is scheduled for release on December 5. Watch the trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The week's best photojournalism
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week