- Watch this July 10
Cheryl Strayed's best-selling memoir, Wild, about her thousand-mile hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, finally has its film adaptation.
Wild, which is directed by Jean-Marc Vallée, stars Reese Witherspoon as Strayed, who embarks on a vision quest after falling into depression in the wake of the death of her mother and the dissolution of her marriage.
Nick Hornby, the novelist behind bestsellers like About a Boy, is the film's screenwriter, so expect some poignant conversations. The film also stars Thomas Sadoski, Laura Dern, and Gaby Hoffman, and is scheduled for release on December 5. Watch the trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- The American middle class is no longer safe from poverty — and that might be a good thing
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week