- Watch this July 10
Fresh on the heels of Maleficent, her highest earning role ever, Angelina Jolie is taking on a decidedly different project: directing Unbroken, based on the true story of the late Olympic runner Louis Zamperini.
Unbroken, written by the Coen brothers, follows Zamperini, played by Jack O'Connell, as he's taken prisoner by Japanese forces during World War II after spending 47 days lost at sea. The film is based on Laura Hillebrand's book of the same name, and it also stars Domhnall Gleeson and Garrett Hedlund. Unbroken is scheduled for a December release, making it a prime Oscar candidate. Watch the moving trailer below. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
Subscribe to the Week