- Say what? July 10
Former President Richard Nixon believed women never swore — at least not the nice attractive ones. That tidbit comes from Vanity Fair, which cleaned up and pored over thousands of hours of Nixon's White House tapes.
After chief of staff H. R. Haldeman informs Nixon that some girls do indeed swear, Nixon offers up this gem:
"Oh, they do now? But, nevertheless, it removes something from them. They don't even realize it. A man drunk, and a man who swears, people will tolerate and say that's a sign of masculinity or some other damn thing. We all do it. We all swear. But you show me a girl that swears and I'll show you an awful unattractive person.... I mean, all femininity is gone. And none of the smart girls do swear, incidentally." [Vanity Fair]
Go give the whole thing a read here.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week