- The internet never forgets July 11
Well, that was fast: Belgian soccer fan Axelle Despiegelaere, who was offered a modeling deal after an image of her at the World Cup went viral, has already lost her contract.
Despiegelaere, 17, announced earlier this month that she had accepted a beauty contract with L'Oreal Professionnel. However, L'Oreal recently rescinded this offer after the teen posted an image of herself with a gazelle she killed while hunting to her Facebook page.
The photo was posted with what many have deemed an insensitive caption: "Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that..this was about 1 year ago...ready to hunt Americans today haha."
A L'Oreal spokesperson told The Independent that Despiegelaere's "contract has now been completed" but would not comment on whether the photo factored into the decision. L'Oreal does, however, hold a firm stance against animal testing.
Regardless of the controversy surrounding her short-lived contract, Despiegelaere's L'Oreal hair tutorial, below, will live on, thanks to the internet — as will screenshots of her hunting post. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- 10 things you need to know today: November 28, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
Subscribe to the Week