- The internet never forgets July 11
Well, that was fast: Belgian soccer fan Axelle Despiegelaere, who was offered a modeling deal after an image of her at the World Cup went viral, has already lost her contract.
Despiegelaere, 17, announced earlier this month that she had accepted a beauty contract with L'Oreal Professionnel. However, L'Oreal recently rescinded this offer after the teen posted an image of herself with a gazelle she killed while hunting to her Facebook page.
The photo was posted with what many have deemed an insensitive caption: "Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that..this was about 1 year ago...ready to hunt Americans today haha."
A L'Oreal spokesperson told The Independent that Despiegelaere's "contract has now been completed" but would not comment on whether the photo factored into the decision. L'Oreal does, however, hold a firm stance against animal testing.
Regardless of the controversy surrounding her short-lived contract, Despiegelaere's L'Oreal hair tutorial, below, will live on, thanks to the internet — as will screenshots of her hunting post. --Meghan DeMaria
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week