- Really? July 12
Here's a new one: Father Padraig O'Baoill, a Catholic priest in Gweedore, Ireland, warned his flock against the dangers of "unsavoury" yoga in a parish newsletter, reports BBC News.
"As followers of Jesus Christ, we shouldn't be taking part in any activities that are in conflict with our faith," O'Baoill wrote. "Therefore, don't take any part in yoga classes, tai chi or reiki. Do not endanger your souls for the sake of such unsavoury activities."
Requests to the Diocese of Raphoe for explanation of the remarks have gone unanswered, but a local reporter described parishioners as "baffled and bemused" by the newsletter.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
- 10 things you need to know today: November 23, 2014
- Inside Turkey's shadow war with ISIS
- Why insects are the future of food
Subscribe to the Week