- Really? July 12
Here's a new one: Father Padraig O'Baoill, a Catholic priest in Gweedore, Ireland, warned his flock against the dangers of "unsavoury" yoga in a parish newsletter, reports BBC News.
"As followers of Jesus Christ, we shouldn't be taking part in any activities that are in conflict with our faith," O'Baoill wrote. "Therefore, don't take any part in yoga classes, tai chi or reiki. Do not endanger your souls for the sake of such unsavoury activities."
Requests to the Diocese of Raphoe for explanation of the remarks have gone unanswered, but a local reporter described parishioners as "baffled and bemused" by the newsletter.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: September 18, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week