- Really? July 12
Here's a new one: Father Padraig O'Baoill, a Catholic priest in Gweedore, Ireland, warned his flock against the dangers of "unsavoury" yoga in a parish newsletter, reports BBC News.
"As followers of Jesus Christ, we shouldn't be taking part in any activities that are in conflict with our faith," O'Baoill wrote. "Therefore, don't take any part in yoga classes, tai chi or reiki. Do not endanger your souls for the sake of such unsavoury activities."
Requests to the Diocese of Raphoe for explanation of the remarks have gone unanswered, but a local reporter described parishioners as "baffled and bemused" by the newsletter.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
Subscribe to the Week