- Quotables July 12
President Barack Obama called out Republican attempt to sue him during his weekly address this morning:
"Republicans in Congress have blocked every serious idea to strengthen the middle class," he said. "And that's when I've acted this year to help working Americans on my own — when Congress won't act…And the Republican plan right now is not to do some of this work with me — instead, it's to sue me. That's actually what they're spending their time on. It's a political stunt that's going to waste months of America's time."
Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) has argued that he must file the lawsuit against Obama to restore balance to the federal government. Boehner has said that Obama's decision to move forward alone on executing laws has shown "a flippant dismissal of the Constitution we are both sworn to defend."
Watch Obama's full address in the video, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The stories behind 22 classic album covers
Subscribe to the Week