- Quotables July 12
President Barack Obama called out Republican attempt to sue him during his weekly address this morning:
"Republicans in Congress have blocked every serious idea to strengthen the middle class," he said. "And that's when I've acted this year to help working Americans on my own — when Congress won't act…And the Republican plan right now is not to do some of this work with me — instead, it's to sue me. That's actually what they're spending their time on. It's a political stunt that's going to waste months of America's time."
Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-Ohio) has argued that he must file the lawsuit against Obama to restore balance to the federal government. Boehner has said that Obama's decision to move forward alone on executing laws has shown "a flippant dismissal of the Constitution we are both sworn to defend."
Watch Obama's full address in the video, below. --Sarah Eberspacher
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
Subscribe to the Week