- foreign affairs July 13
Israeli troops entered Gaza Sunday morning to attack a missile launching site, marking the most extreme escalation yet in the nation's conflict with Palestine. The Israeli military said there was "an exchange of fire" but that all of its troops returned across the border alive.
The brief ground incursion, combined with Israel's decision to station tanks and troops along Gaza's border, stoked fears of an even wider military campaign. The United Nations on Saturday called for a cease-fire, though both sides ignored the plea.
Some 160 Palestinians have died in the conflict so far; an Israeli air strike Saturday night killed at least 18 as they left a mosque.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week