- foreign affairs July 13
Israeli troops entered Gaza Sunday morning to attack a missile launching site, marking the most extreme escalation yet in the nation's conflict with Palestine. The Israeli military said there was "an exchange of fire" but that all of its troops returned across the border alive.
The brief ground incursion, combined with Israel's decision to station tanks and troops along Gaza's border, stoked fears of an even wider military campaign. The United Nations on Saturday called for a cease-fire, though both sides ignored the plea.
Some 160 Palestinians have died in the conflict so far; an Israeli air strike Saturday night killed at least 18 as they left a mosque.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
Subscribe to the Week