- foreign affairs July 13
Moscow on Sunday warned Ukraine that it could face "irreversible consequences" after a shell allegedly fired by the Ukrainian army killed a Russian civilian.
Russia claimed one man was killed and one woman injured when a round launched from Ukraine landed in the courtyard of a home in Donetsk, just across the border. "This incident highlights the extremely dangerous escalation of tensions in the Russian-Ukrainian border and may have irreversible consequences," Russia’s Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
Despite Russia's claims, Ukraine denied it had fired the shell, instead suggesting pro-Russian separatists could have launched the attack in an attempt to dupe Russia into blaming Ukraine. The incident comes after a week in which Ukrainian forces reclaimed territory in eastern Ukraine previously held by rebels.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- How ISIS gets its hostages
Subscribe to the Week