- foreign affairs July 13
Moscow on Sunday warned Ukraine that it could face "irreversible consequences" after a shell allegedly fired by the Ukrainian army killed a Russian civilian.
Russia claimed one man was killed and one woman injured when a round launched from Ukraine landed in the courtyard of a home in Donetsk, just across the border. "This incident highlights the extremely dangerous escalation of tensions in the Russian-Ukrainian border and may have irreversible consequences," Russia’s Foreign Ministry said Sunday.
Despite Russia's claims, Ukraine denied it had fired the shell, instead suggesting pro-Russian separatists could have launched the attack in an attempt to dupe Russia into blaming Ukraine. The incident comes after a week in which Ukrainian forces reclaimed territory in eastern Ukraine previously held by rebels.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This week I learned the meteor that doomed the dinos gave us seasonal trees, and more
Subscribe to the Week