- World Cup July 13
For the fourth time, Germany are the World Cup champions.
Germany defeated Argentina 1-0 in a thrilling final match that needed extra time to decide a winner. In the 113th minute, Mario Gotze corralled the ball off his chest and, without letting it hit the turf, slipped a shot into the far corner for the game's lone goal.
Germany played the aggressor for most of the game, keeping possession for 54 percent of the match and repeatedly pressing forward with scoring chances.
Germany last won the World Cup in 1990 — when they beat Argentina 1-0.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Pope Francis' American problem
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week