- World Cup July 13
For the fourth time, Germany are the World Cup champions.
Germany defeated Argentina 1-0 in a thrilling final match that needed extra time to decide a winner. In the 113th minute, Mario Gotze corralled the ball off his chest and, without letting it hit the turf, slipped a shot into the far corner for the game's lone goal.
Germany played the aggressor for most of the game, keeping possession for 54 percent of the match and repeatedly pressing forward with scoring chances.
Germany last won the World Cup in 1990 — when they beat Argentina 1-0.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week