- World Cup July 13
For the fourth time, Germany are the World Cup champions.
Germany defeated Argentina 1-0 in a thrilling final match that needed extra time to decide a winner. In the 113th minute, Mario Gotze corralled the ball off his chest and, without letting it hit the turf, slipped a shot into the far corner for the game's lone goal.
Germany played the aggressor for most of the game, keeping possession for 54 percent of the match and repeatedly pressing forward with scoring chances.
Germany last won the World Cup in 1990 — when they beat Argentina 1-0.- -
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
Subscribe to the Week